Your garage door makes up a significant portion of your home’s exterior. Windows can add elegance and flair to your garage door’s design. Before you select windows for your garage door, here are three things to consider.
1. The Pros and Cons of Garage Door Windows
First and foremost, you’ll want to consider the pros and cons of garage door windows to determine whether or not a windowed garage door is right for you.
- Windows are a gorgeous visual detail that helps to break up the large, blank panels of your garage door.
- Windows can be customized to complement your existing doors and windows.
- Windows can give your home an upscale, custom look that sets it apart from other homes on your street.
- Windows allow more natural light into your garage, increasing its usability and functionality.
- Windows reduce the energy efficiency of your garage door.
- Windows decrease privacy and security.
- Windows are made of glass, which can be damaged more easily than the rest of your garage door.
- Windows typically add to the overall cost of your garage door.
2. The Appearance of Garage Door Windows
Once you’ve determined that garage door windows are right for you, it’s time to consider their appearance. Garage door windows look best when they coordinate with the style of your home. Here are a few elements to keep in mind.
The focal point of a window is its glass. Garage door windows come in a variety of opacities, ranging from completely clear to obscure. Remember that the more transparent a window is, the more light it will let into your garage. On the flip side, the more opaque a window is, the more privacy you’ll have. Somewhere along the continuum, you’ll find your perfect glass finish.
Next, it’s time to consider the style of the window. There are several variables to keep in mind, including
All of these elements combine to create a distinctive a window style. Choose each element to complement the exterior of your home.
Finally, consider the placement and sequence of your garage’s windows. Do you want a series of four windows across the top? What about two large windows to mirror the ones on the front of your home? Placement is a key factor in the appearance of your windowed garage door.
3. The Expectations of Garage Door Windows
Finally, consider what your expectations are for your garage door windows, and consider how your design fulfills the following expectations.
Particularly if you are adding windows in your garage door primarily to improve your home’s aesthetics, be certain that you’ve designed a door that fits seamlessly into your home’s exterior appearance.
Increased Natural Light
If you’re looking to increase the natural light in your garage, be sure that the windows you’ve selected will do so. You may need to need sacrifice some privacy for more light. Consider how the placement of your windows will affect its privacy and how you could design the door to give you the optimal balance of natural light, privacy, and security.
Upgraded Indoor-Outdoor Usability
Is the style of door you’ve chosen the best for your specific needs? If you’re looking to open up your home or garage to the outdoors, windowed garage doors can help you achieve this. An indoor-outdoor living area is a perfect application for an aluminum full-view glass door.
If you need professional input regarding your new garage door, contact WD Door in Des Moines. The professionals at WD Door have the knowledge and experience needed to find you the perfect windowed garage door. Request your free quote today!